Take a buyer’s beware approach of the damaging additives, GMOs and synthetic chemicals in the foods before you buy and eat them. Become an avid label reader and familiarize yourself with the following common and harmful ingredients.
Become familiar with misleading marketing claims. Items labeled as “all-natural, organic, sugar-free or gluten-free” are not necessarily healthy.
1. High fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is the number one source of calories for most Americans. Estimates are that Americans consume 70 pounds of corn sweeteners annually, which is the equivalent of 30 teaspoons of HFCS every day! Aside from weight gain, HFCS has been linked to non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), diabetes, inflammation and several other diseases. Products with HFCS also contain high levels of mercury. You’ll find HFCS in processed, packaged and fast foods, fruit drinks, sodas, syrupy coffee drinks, chewing gum, baked goods, and in hundreds of other processed, packaged food items.
2. Partially hydrogenated oil (trans fats) found in thousands of packaged and processed foods (breakfast cereals, cookies, chips, crackers) are proven to cause heart disease and obesity. Restaurant food, especially from fast food chains often serve food loaded with trans fats. Consequences of a diet high in trans fats include decreased IQ, increased inflammation, immune dysfunction, neurological damage, obesity, cancer and diabetes. In addition, avoid vegetable oils and other frankenfats such as margarine and fake butter products, canola and soybean oil.
3. Monosodium glutamate (MSG) is a chemical food additive associated with seizures, rashes and hives, infertility, depression and panic attacks, migraines, permanent damage to the endocrine system, linked to obesity and other serious disorders.
Especially harmful to developing fetuses, children and the elderly, MSG is an excitotoxin, overexciting brain cells to the point of death. MSG is found in frozen meals, ramen noodles, soups, chips and numerous packaged foods. MSG is used as a taste enhancer and has over 50 different names that are used to disguise it on food labels.
4. Sugar is more addictive than cocaine altering brain, behavior and psychological function. Consuming sugar (grains, wheat, candy, juice, cereals, soda, bagels and more) promotes inflammation and oxidation, triggers cravings and increases appetite, increases risk of depression, diabesity and other diseases, is a fuel source for yeast and parasites, causes magnesium, vitamin B and other nutrient deficiencies, accelerates aging and the production of free radicals, which cause collagen to breakdown creating wrinkles.
Avoid all items that end with –ose (a sugar), evaporated cane juice, barley malt, brown rice syrup and hidden sources of sugar found in processed, packaged and fast foods and beverages.
5. Sodium chloride (commercial table salt) found in microwave dinner, take-out items and processed foods is highly processed containing aluminum, chemicals and additives that are toxic and cause neurological disorders, multiple sclerosis and other autoimmune disorders. Opt for a healthier version: unprocessed sea salt.
6. Artificial sweeteners (Aspartame, Splenda, Equal, Sweet ‘N Low, Sucralose, Saccharine, TruVia, Acesulfame-K). This includes the little blue, yellow & pink packets too!
Splenda consists of sucralose, which contains chlorine, originally a pesticide and fillers maltodextrin and glucose. It’s about 600x sweeter than sugar. Splenda is toxic to the brain and thymus, causes GI distress, weight gain, thyroid dysfunction, alters gut microflora, and destroys beneficial bacteria in your gut. Splenda affects expression of certain enzymes known to interfere with nutrient absorption and medications.
Aspartame is an excitotoxin and neurotoxin that comes with a laundry list of side effects.
Aspartame and artificial sweeteners stimulate appetite, intensifies carbohydrate and sugar cravings, cause bloating, digestive and liver dysfunction, migraines, weight gain, microbiome problems, increased risk of depression, bone loss, stroke, heart disease, type 2 diabetes, ADHD, brain seizures and tumors, rashes, hives, and cancer.
You’ll find artificial sweeteners in thousands of items including desserts, gelatins, low calorie foods, kool-aid fruit drinks, breath mints, sugar-free gum, energy and sports drinks, wine coolers, flavored bottled waters, cereals, cold remedies, medications, some vitamins and protein powders and of course, diet sodas.
Healthier sweeteners: SweetLeaf stevia, coconut nectar, raw organic honey
7. Sodium nitrate is a preservative, coloring, and flavoring commonly added to bacon, ham, hot dogs, luncheon meats, smoked fish and corned beef. Studies have linked it to various types of cancer.
8. Genetically modified (GM) foods are foods derived from a process in a lab where genes are taken from one species and inserted into another in an attempt to obtain a desired characteristic or trait. Often referred to as Frankenfoods, GMOs alter and disrupt DNA. Children, newborns and pregnant women face the greatest potential hazards from GM food.
– See more at: http://www.celestialhealing.net/monsanto/intromonsanto.htm