October 14, 2013
Posted by on
Like coconut? Then you’re gonna LOVE these 5 ways to enjoy this fabulous fruit!
1) Oil: This new kitchen essential gets a workout for dinner and dessert. It’s great for sautéing, and the subtle aroma of virgin oil makes it perfect with tropical cuisines like Thai or Jamaican. It’s best with light ingredients, such as seafood or veggies. On the sweet side, it’s wonderful for baking. Just like butter, coconut oil is solid at room temperature and liquid when warm, so try it in place of some of the butter in cake recipes-it’ll lighten them up and lend a little nuttiness.
2) Water: Surely you got the memo that coconut water is hydrating. But it’s good for more than just replacing lost potassium after a workout. Coconut water can lend a hint of flavor.
3) Dried Flakes: Think of them as your new nut. Toast, then add to granola, or sprinkle atop yogurt or a pot of grains for a tasty finish. Always buy unsweetened; the sweetened stuff is a sugar bomb.
4) Sugar: Sugar made from the coconut palm is less refined than white, so it retains a good amount of potassium and iron. And it’s a blessing for any baker more interested in alternative sugars than math: It’s an equal substitute for white sugar. Find it in natural food stores and some supermarkets.
5) Milk: We’ve long been using coconut milk in curries, but recently we’ve found it indispensable at breakfast as a creamy addition to herbal teas, oatmeal, or smoothies in place of dairy.
Here is a list of our links.