5 Surprising Health Benefits of Turmeric You Didn’t Know
May 19, 2014
Posted by on
The medicinal properties of turmeric have been slowly revealed over hundreds of years. It has been long known for its anti-inflammatory properties. Recently research has shown that turmeric is a natural wonder, proving beneficial in the treatment of many different health conditions from cancer to Alzheimer’s disease.
1. First Aid: A natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent, useful in disinfecting cuts and burns. Turmeric is a natural antiseptic and anti-baterical agent which disinfects wounds from the minute you apply it and promotes faster healing. It is also amazing at stoping a wound from bleeding, sprinkling dry turmeric to a bleeding wound instantly clots the blood and help promote regeneration of news cells which help close the wound quicker. It is also has analgesic action which relieves pain. Turmeric acts as an antibiotic which prevents infection from E. Coli, staphylococcus and bacillus.
2. Anti-cancer: When combined with cauliflower, it has been shown to prevent prostate cancer and stop the growth of existing prostate cancer. It may prevent melanoma and cause existing melanoma cells to die. It reduces the risk of childhood leukemia. It may prevent metastases from occurring in many different forms of cancer. Turmeric can boost the effects of the chemo drug paclitaxel and reduce its side effects. Also, promising studies are underway on the effects of turmeric on pancreatic cancer and in the positive effects of turmeric on multiple myeloma. It has been shown to stop the growth of new blood vessels in tumors.
3. Body cleanser: Turmeric is a natural liver detoxifier, may prevent and slow the progression of Alzheimer’s disease by removing plaque buildup in the brain, is a potent natural anti-inflammatory .
4. Brighten Teeth: Former Miss USA Susie Castillo swears by her recipe for homemade toothpaste, which includes turmeric powder. Although turmeric is known for its staining prowess, it is commonly (if not counter-intuitively) used to whiten teeth – presumably it’s not in contact with the enamel long enough to change the color.
5. Reduce Sprain Swelling: A traditional homeopathic sprain treatment involves making a paste using one part salt and two parts turmeric and enough water to make it spreadable. Apply to the affected joint and wrap in an old cloth that you don’t mind staining. Leave on for 20 minutes to an hour, once a day. (Don’t do this on body parts that can be seen; you don’t want a temporary yellow tinge!) Also of note: the University of Maryland Medical Center suggests taking turmeric to help reduce sprain swelling and makes the effect of bromelain (an anti-inflammatory derived from pineapple enzymes) stronger. Take 250 to 500 milligrams (mg) each of turmeric and bromelain, three times a day between meals.