by Bruce Krahn
When it comes to losing body fat men and women are not created equal.
Most trainers and nutritionists will tell you that on average, it is easier for a man to lose body fat than a woman.
There are a number of reasons why this may be true including gender disparities in muscle mass, genetic predispositions and hormonal differences.
It has been my experience that three of the most difficult areas to lose fat from are the hips, buttocks and thighs. Stubborn fat deposits in these areas are almost exclusively a female issue and the reason for this may be related to estrogen.
However, guys are not immune to the effects of increased estrogen either. Men who have an imbalance between testosterone and estrogen will often deposit fat under the nipple area-a condition known as gynocomastia.
Causes of Estrogen Imbalance
There are a number of reasons why an individual may have estrogen imbalance. Over time, poor food choices, alcohol consumption and other lifestyle factors can lead to an increase in estradiol- the fat storing form of estrogen.
Here are 8 natural methods that can help reduce estrogen and minimize fat storage from those areas.
1. Digest your food properly. You are not what you eat- you are what you eat, digest and assimilate. It is important that the nutrients you ingest are being properly absorbed. Foods that are cooked or processed are often lacking in important enzymes that can impact how nutrients are being used by your body.
2. Eat your veggies. Cruciferous vegetables such as Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, kale and spinach can help your body to eliminate bad estrogens. Broccoli is my personal favorite as it contains indoles which are known to help fight cancer and improve your livers ability to rid your body of estrogen. The best way to eat your broccoli is lightly steamed- not boiled to mush. Your broccoli should be crunchy tender. I also recommend you choose organic whenever possible.
3. Eat more Wasabi. Wasabi root contains Diidolymethane or Dim. Dim is the active form of indole 3 carbinol found in cruciferous vegetables. Dim helps to prevent aromatase which is the conversion of testosterone to fat storing estrogens.
4. Take your supplements. Fish oil, B vitamins, magnesium and zinc can help your body to properly metabolize estrogen.
5. Drink filtered water. A good quality water filtration system can help minimize the amount of estrogen you are being exposed to through the water you drink. Consider a filter for your shower as well.
6. Select alternate forms of birth control. Birth control pills will have an effect on female estrogen levels.
7. Drink less booze. Alcohol consumption will reduce testosterone and increase estrogen.
8. Lift more weights. Swap two (or more) days of cardio for resistance training. Lifting weights has a positive impact on your testosterone, growth hormone and estrogen levels while excessive cardio will have the opposite effect.
Small changes, repeated over time can have a big effect. The items on this list are safe and effective ways for you to kick start your fat loss goals for the coming year and finally lose that stubborn body fat.