The health benefits of Vitamin C or Ascorbic Acid include the prevention and cure of scurvy, treatment of common cold, boosting the immune system, lowering hyper tension, cure of lead toxicity, curing cataracts, treatment of cancer, combating stroke, maintain elasticity of skin, healing of wounds, and controlling the symptoms of asthma.
Vitamin C or Ascorbic acid is the one of the most effective and safest nutrients. It is a water soluble vitamin. It is the powerful antioxidant for the synthesis of collagen which helps to make blood vessels and body muscles strong. Human body doesn’t have the capacity to generate Vitamin C. Therefore, it needs to receive it through foods and other supplements.
A severe deficiency of Vitamin C can cause scurvy, a fatal disease. The symptoms of scurvy are loose teeth, bleeding and bruising, joint pain and swelling, tooth and hair loss, hemorrhages, inability to fight infections, and mild anemia.
The important sources of Vitamin C or Ascorbic Acid are any citrus fruits such as oranges and grapes. Strawberry, raspberry, cabbage, cauliflower, other leafy vegetables, red pepper, potatoes, broccoli, chilies, watercress, parsley, Brussels sprouts, cantaloupe, mange tout, and kiwi fruit are also rich sources of this vitamin. The cooking of food at low temperature and for short time is important to keep the Vitamin C preserved.
- Prevention of Scurvy: Scurvy is prevented by sufficient intake of vitamin C. The symptoms of scurvy appear due to the weakening of connective tissues, bones and blood vessels which include collagen. Vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant, is required for the production of collagen.
- Treatment of Common Cold: It enhances the immune system of our body which protects us from cold and cough. It facilitates the absorption of iron and hence strengthens the resistance to infection. It fights with viruses.
- Lowering Hypertension: People with hypertension are at high risk of developing cardiovascular diseases. The supplement of vitamin C intake helps in lowering the blood pressure.
- Treatment of Vasodilation: Treatment with vitamin C has effectively resulted in proper dilation of blood vessels in the cases of atherosclerosis, congestive heart failure, high cholesterol, angina pectoris, and high blood pressure. Results have been found that supplements of vitamin C improve blood vessel dilation.
- Cure of Lead Toxicity: Lead Toxicity is a severe health problem found mostly in children, especially in the urban areas. Abnormal development and growth has been found in children who are exposed to lead. They develop behavioral problems, learning disabilities and have low IQ. It may damage the kidney and increase blood pressure in adults. Vitamin C supplements reduce the blood lead level.
- Curing Cataracts (Eye Disorder): Cataracts are the most common reasons of visual problems. Decrease in the level of vitamin C in the lens of the human eye has been found with increased number of cataracts. Increase of vitamin C intake increases the blood supply to the visual zones of the body.
- Treatment of Cancer: Researchers have found that high consumption of fresh vegetables and fruits have a linkage with a minimised risk for the various types of cancer. The studies have shown that increased consumption of vitamin C is connected with the decreased possibilities of cancers of lung, mouth, vocal chords, throat, colon-rectum, stomach, and esophagus.
- Combating Stroke: Vitamin C or Ascorbic Acid helps in reducing the risk of stroke, a kind of cardiovascular disease. A diet full of vegetables and fruits produces good quantity of vitamin C which maintains the appropriate blood pressure level. It also protects the body from free radicals which could be the reason for the stroke.
- Mood: Vitamin C plays a key role in the production of neurotransmitters, norepinephrine. They affect the mood of a person as they are critical to the proper functioning of the brain.
- Immunity: Immunity is another important benefit of this vitamin. Vitamin C is widely known for its contribution to the immune system of the body.
- Wound repair: Vitamin C helps to repair wounds. It facilitates the growth of the connective tissues, which fastens up the process of healing of wounds.
- Controlling Asthma: It also helps to reduce the symptoms of asthma.It helps to protect against the harmful effects of pollution on human body.
- Curing Diabetes: One of the chief reasons for diabetes as found by various studies is lower levels of vitamin C. Supplements of vitamin C are beneficial as a cure to diabetes as they help in processing of insulin and glucose.
- Preventing Heart Diseases: Adequacy of vitamin C is essential for protection of blood vessels from the damage that free radicals can cause to them. This could be a major cause of a heart disease called atherosclerosis. Vitamin C acts as a preventing agent of this heart disease as well as various other cardiac problems.